Thursday, October 12, 2006

dennis wilson - pacific ocean blue


It's no secret that I'm a massive Beach Boys fan, or that the older I get the more I find myself drawn to the mid-period albums. Dennis Wilson's solo album Pacific Ocean Blue from 1977 eluded me until two years ago, when I found it online in its entirety on a tribute site protesting about the music company's refusal to re-release it (the 1990 CD release pops up on ebay for frightening amounts of money, and the quality is not meant to be all that good anyway). So if ever there was a Rhino or Rykodisc candidate for the full mastering treatment and a green jewel case, this gets my vote. The music itself is rich and lush, Dennis's voice breaks in all the right places and his cosmic vibe sentiments never get mawkish.

Listen: Dennis Wilson - Thoughts of you
Listen: Dennis Wilson - Farwell my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment