Friday, April 27, 2007

Dancing Round The Kitchen

Well folks,

Okay - it's the weekend, the sun is shining, I'm in a good mood. It's time for some new songs for the kitchen. Let me explain.

I often describe some of my favourite songs as "being good for dancing round the kitchen to". This isn't just because my descriptive powers are painfully meagre - although you can make up your own mind about that.

Instead, it's a term I find myself using to talk about the tunes that you seek out to keep you company whilst you cook, clean, read the papers, tend the baby (Howard) or tend the houseplants (me). Sometimes it's to do with familiarity, but, for me, it's more about melody and being able to sing along or just feel somehow nourished by what's on the stereo.

Let me illustrate my point with a couple of favourites that are on heavy rotation in the Northern Lonesome HQ kitchen. Play these and I can guarantee that life will be good.

**Warning: (relatively) uptempo tunes ahead**

Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell - Don't Make It Better

Buy Begonias

Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight - Whiskeytown


Buy the fantastic Stranger’s Almanac (pronto!)

No comments:

Post a Comment