Friday, June 29, 2007

Blanche - murky, but good


I first saw Blanche when they supported The Handsome Family at the ever-great City Varieties a few years ago and I can honestly say it was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Proper laugh-out-loud funny gags, husband/wife/boy/girl vocals and gorgeous songs about really ugly things. I hear that some of our readers saw them when they supported The White Stripes and I imagine the vibe was the same. I certainly hope you had as good a time as I did.

So what a delight to see Blanche headline last night. They were superb but the whole evening was marred by a frankly appalling sound system/engineer at the Cockpit. It was desperately murky at the start of the gig and didn't get too much clearer all night. It's such a pity as the lyrics are a key part of their sound. Anyways, in the end, the power of a steel guitar and banjo won out and a good time was had by all - there was a group of lads having a bit of a spiritual experience by the looks of it. Manly do-si-dos all round. See if these don't get you up and dancing.

Listen - Blanche - I'm Sure of It
Listen - Blanche - What This Town Needs

Buy the new album, Little Amber Bottles, for a bargain tenner.

Look at their beautiful website. Even if you’re not a fan, your eyes will thank you. I also recommend getting on their mailing list for a quarterly dose of witty goth americana to cheer up your working day.

More quirky loveliness on their MySpace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment