Thursday, August 23, 2007

Catherine Howe - Up North

The description in one amazon review as Joni meets Sandy meets Dusty meets Bonnie Tyler was enough to make me want to hear more, in fact it rather neatly captured my recent listening habits. So I got the album and find myself agreeing with the sentiment of that review (although I'm not a Bonnie Tyler fan, so not in a position to comment about that bit).

I find that the melancholy here is provided by my sweet-toothed, brown paisley (with mustard detail) nostalgia for the 70s, a decade I can only just remember - indeed this was recorded in the year I was born - 1971. There are spoken interludes at the beginning middle and end that create a framework for some impeccably arranged and very lushly orchestrated folk pop. I will be investigating her other albums soon. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Listen: Catherine Howe - Up North

Official

Buy it

bonus: Catherine Howe - In the hot Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment